Why I prefer real books over the Kindle


Growing up on a steady diet of books, I'm finding it hard to come in terms with the emergence of the Kindle. I find it to be an unnatural and intangible replacement for the touch and feel (and smell....!) of a book. This evening I walked over to Blossoms, my favourite bookshop in the whole wide world and as I thought about the number of people going over to the dark side, I felt desperately sad for the books surrounding me. I suppose someone who was fond of (printed) photographs would truly be able to understand what it feels like to be in my shoes.
I have my side of the argument about why Kindles can not entirely replace books. I look forward eagerly to Jeffrey Archer's promotional visits to India for his series 'Clifton Chronicles' because that's when I stand in long queues (or coax my husband to be my proxy) to have the books autographed by him. I don't see how I can have my copy autographed by him on a Kindle/e-book. You may tell me that I could easily buy an autographed e-book instead, but then - Wouldn't you also miss out on a chance to meet Jeffrey Archer, or any other of your favourite authors?
My teenage years were filled with sharing books with friends and to lend mine as well. Gifting books for birthdays was the most obvious thing to do. I always insist that they write something for me inside, as is my own habit. Why, I even had friends gifting us books for our wedding too!! Honestly, how will you do that with a Kindle? It would also mean that your friend's circle consists of an elite group of Kindle owners only, considering that the cheapest Kindle costs close to 5k.
I still treasure copies of books that my mother owned during her heydays, and my husband still holds on to his grandfather's copy of the Bhagvadgita. Just like any other family heirloom, pre-owned books are more special. Pre-owned Kindles would only be old, outdated and the owners would quickly discard them for a swankier model.
I will agree however that the Kindle is of-course a greener and more environmental friendly option compared to books. But as much as you argue with that, if you are truly fond of reading books - you know deep down that its just not the same as books. Every other book is the same on the Kindle - fonts and all!
I do know that its probably my right brain leading these arguments, but I feel just as sad as Meg Ryan in 'You've got Mail' as she closes down her quaint bookstore, to see people shifting to Kindles. 

Comments

Popular Posts