somebody call 101 please........

it was one of those lovely sunday mornings when i was looking forward for mum to conjure up something fabulous to fill up the void space in my gut.taking my desperation as an advantage,mum set me up the task of cutting up vegetables-a few onions,chillies and some coriander leaves.for those of you who've never entered a kitchen,this is supposed to be one of those level 0 tasks any bharatiya nari is assumed to have mastered.the idea of how they do it ignoring all the tears and inspite of the blurry vision has never dawned upon me.

so here i am,all teary eyed,like a hindi movie heroine,putting all my math skills to test-trying to cut up the onions into equally small pieces.next come the chillies.mustve been some really evil ones since my hands can feel the heat and spice while simply ripping them apart as systematically as possible.and thus i managed to cross the last hurdle in the quest of a wonderful breakfast.

ya wondering why i mentioned the emergency number for the fire dept?no-i did not put the kitchen on fire.i did something very obvious once i was done-i went to wash up my hands.let me mention that i used a soap and also washed up my hands thrice.then i went ahead to splash water on face,as the chilly tears had made it all sticky.i touched my face with my hands and thats it-my face started burning like hell.and then i made the mistake of rubbing my eyes too with my hands.that was the final straw.after that,i was simply screaming,splashing as much water that i could gather in my palms on my face.it wasnt helping.all my facial muscles were in pseudo-combustion mode.i started running to and fro between the bathroom and my room,jumping and howling in pain,while my parents wondered why i was acting so loony.as i tried explaining in between sobs the trauma i was going through,my dad n mum exploded into laughter.they found it hilarious and my mum couldnt believe that the chillies could have actually been that spicy.i spent the next half hour with a wet piece of cloth dipped in a mug of cold water.and for those of you wondering why i did not use some ice-cubes-i had run out of all luck and there wasnt any ice in the house.so here i was,half hour later,staring at my pink faced reflection in the mirror.

and oh yes-there is a happy ending.......i devoured breakfast with utmost satisfaction!!

Comments

rubs said…
oh!!!bhartiya nari???tats y u shud hav some mercy on ur mum n try n help her regularly so as to know wat chillies r meant for!!! must say ...fiery post huh!!!
Anusha said…
oh please rubs-i do help mum as often as possible.only my field of expertise is not chopping onions and chillies
Iceman said…
Yeah, I was all teary eyed when you told me that, cause I have been there done that!
Anusha said…
@iceman
youve chopped onions????????????
Anonymous said…
anush ur lucky enuf...my mom alwas made my sis me and ma bro to peal the onions wen there wer a lot of guest or if we did any masti..but my sis was appoined to cut them..we had to peal and give it to her...i knw how teary it feels... and i din xpect chilliy face wash frm u... rubbiya is right..try not being an expertise..but develop some common sense of kitchen
Kavya said…
gee! :D
funny :D...... i should've been there to watch it..... its ok.. we all learn from our mistakes... so never try doin it again! :P

Popular Posts